There are 3 source codes on your tqx return (ITR12) that relate to medical payments made by you and or your medical aid. Some background first. This assumes that you are a member of a medical aid and have claimed from that medical aid as well as paid some extra. You will need your medical aid tax certificate to complete these amounts.
Lets explain them:
Source code 4005:
- The medical aid scheme to which you contributed, the name and your membership number. This can be more than one.
- State the contributions you made to the scheme.
- There is also a place for the contributions made foran immediate family member who is dependent on you for family care and support.
Source code 4034:
- This is the amount for all qualifying out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- These are not reflected on your mwdicalaid tax certificate.
- These are expenses not claimed from medical aid.
Source code 4020;
- This amount is reflected onthe tax certificate as not recovered from medical aid.
Important tip: whatever code the expenses falls into, be sure to keep ALL the invoices AND proof that you paid them.